Past the junction of Rajagiriya, now the gate-way to the administrative hub of our island, namely the Sri Jayawardene Parliament Complex, one enters a strange terrain. Externally no evidence of any extraordinary or spectacular aspect is visible since the suburban aspects of Colombo s fringe territory marked by the thick asphalt and concrete jungle continues here too with a regular monotony. But what makes the terrain special is that underneath all these modern concrete structures and the network of roads on which a seething populace walk and ribbons of vehicles ply back and forth in mad frenzy, sleeps a mighty city.
It was the capital of our island from 1415-1565 AD predominated by the long reign of Parakrama Bahu VI, the last Sinhala king who ruled a unified Lanka. The attacks on the kingdom